12/26/10

Everything but the tree...

is down and packed away! 
.............
Okay, there are a few things you should know about me...

I've been known to:
take down holiday decorations the night that the holiday is over! I love it! The moment we walk in the door from Trick or Treating with the kids, the candy goes into the community candy bucket, the costumes go into a box, and all the decor is packed away neatly into the attic. I am a happy mom tonight! The moment we got home from our family Christmas party at my mom's house, I started taking Christmas decorations down, putting stuff away, and filling up the trash can with goodness!


I've been known to:
throw things away. It's actually a little bit exciting to me to throw something in the trash. Whether it be a piece of junk mail or even my husband's registration tags for his truck (that look like junk mail) oops, I throw it!  I give myself 3 rules... have you NEEDED it in the last 3 months? have you USED it in the last 3 months? have you TOUCHED it in the last 3 months? If you answered NO to any or all of these questions...throw it away!  This year, I pulled 6 Christmas buckets down from the attic. My goal is to put back only three!

I've been known to:
not get attached to material things. I sometimes buy something from a garage sale and then end up selling it at my next garage sale a few months down the road. I even buy things full price and end up giving it away to my sister. I love things for a short amount of time and then I move on. I go through my kid's room at least once a week and we always find lots to donate! I love change, I guess.

I've been known to:
go to people's homes and help them organize, just for the fun of it. Organizing is one of those things that I can't describe. It makes me feel, not only clean, but it's almost like a powerful feeling. I get such JOY from organizing things. Buckets, baskets, and labels make me vveeerrry happy! Normally, if someone has 3 or more of the same thing, I ask them to pick their favorite one and donate the rest. Who needs 7 pot holders?!!

I hope you all had a very MERRY Christmas!
Now, time to take down the tree! :)
.................

12 comments:

Vagabond Carnival said...

Well, I can't identify with putting away decorations so quickly, although it might have something to do with my not decorating at all. ;)

However, I CAN get down with the lack of attachment to material possessions. One of my friends (a bit of a packrat) said I had a pathological need to get rid of stuff, in reference to my continuously going through my belongings to weed out that which I don't absolutely use, need, or love. I don't mind so much their commentary - I hate clutter and I move house so much that having a lot of belongings is a hindrance. There's something satisfying about not being defined by what you own, in addition to knowing exactly what is stored under your bed and in your closets.

Hope you had a lovely holiday!

~M

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Craft Edition said...

please come organize my craft room for me!! - that's on my to-do list for the holiday break.....

Lyndsey said...

um.. we might be twins lol!! I just took down every bit of christmas in our home.. but I included the tree!! :) I also spent 3 hours last night after everyone was in bed going through my kids toys and throwing some out and donating the others.. I love to de-clutter!! I feel so much better after I throw things away!! I am glad that it is not just me that organizes other people things.. I love to go to my moms house and go through her cupboards.. she loves it too!! And I just took a load to the D.I that was mostly things that I had purchased from the D.I!! This post is way to familiar .. thanks for making me smile :)

beth said...

We might just be kindred spirits--I love organizing and throwing things away!

MaryBerry Boutique said...

lol u are so funny! i can totally related to every word you said!!! It might as well of been me who wrote your post hehe:) so we are freaks? who cares:)

DanielleisNesting said...

I am the same exact way!

Melissa said...

I just randlomly clicked on your blog from somewhere for the 1st time and you sound like exactly what I need in my life!! I'm the opposite and it is so oppressing. My goal this year is to become more like you!

An anglo in québec said...

Okay, that is so funny! I relate totally. I have a superstition around having two trees in one year so the tree always comes down on the 31st of December. Truth be told I am ready to take it down on the 26th but the family would be quite upset with me if I did. I think it comes down to the clutter factor. Initially it all looks wonderful and then with time it looks a bit like clutter?
Anyway, great post!!

AubrieAnne said...

I need to start following your 3 month rule! Such a good idea. Thanks for sharing more about yourself. :)

AubrieAnne @ http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I am with you (this year) on the Christmas decorations. The tree is in the basement along with several boxes. I still need to pack up my nativities, but what a wonderful feeling having that space back.

One way I'm different, if the item is usable, I don't throw it away; I donate it....or freecycle it. It HATE to throw things away unless it truly is garbage.

Sassy Sites! said...

Lyndee, thanks for pointing that out. We have a local church donation site that I take all my old goodies to. Definetly, if it's usable... donate it! :)

Shay said...

You are the most organized gal I know!!